In keeping with the Town's commitment to sustainability and 'being green', we have an active and dedicated employee Green Team Committee. By introducing sustainability programs within the Town, the Green Team leads by example and encourages all staff to become involved with the Team's initiatives.
The Green Team's Mission
To promote and demonstrate the Town’s sustainability vision within the organization.
Successful Green Team Initiatives Include:
- Introduction of a 'no bottled water' policy Town sponsored events
- Recycling batteries through the “Call 2 Recycle” battery and cell phone program
- Promotion of electricity conservation initiatives
- Implementation of a policy requiring the use of recycled copy and printer paper
- Double siding all photocopying and print jobs
- Holding regular 'lunch and learn' sessions on topics ranging from local food consumption to energy audits
- Turning flowerbeds at City Hall into vegetable gardens, maintained and harvested by the Public Works crew with harvest donated to the Ladysmith Food Bank
- Using environmentally friendly cleaning products in Town facilities
- Holding a successful Earth Day Challenge by encouraging employees to car pool, bike or walk to work
- Producing a quarterly newsletter which also keeps staff informed of ‘green’ and ‘wellness’ events
Ladysmith Named One of "Canada's Greenest
Employers" for 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015
The Town of Ladysmith has been named one of "Canada's Greenest Employers" for 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015. The award recognizes the Town's organization-wide commitment to reducing its environmental footprint.
The “Canada’s Greenest Employers” Award is part of the Canada’s Top 100 Employers competition conducted by Mediacorp Canada. The list of Green Employers winners was published in The Globe and Mail and online.
For more information please see the , or Canada's Greenest Employers.
See a list of Ladysmith's Sustainability Initiatives. Guide to Green Zoning Bylaw Initiatives
Town of Ladysmith "Veggie Gardens"
Please see below for what fruits and vegetables are planted in the gardensaround Ladysmith.
|City Hall ||Wickam Park ||Spirit Square ||Cenotaph ||Across Highway |
from City Hall