Elections, AAP, Referenda

Local Government Elections - Next Election - October 2018

Starting in 2014, municipal elections in B.C. are held every four years.  They are conducted according to the rules and regulations set out in the Local Government Act, which covers local government elections throughout B.C., and the Local Elections Campaign Financing Act.

The Town of Ladysmith uses electronic voting machines to count ballots. You still mark a paper ballot by hand, but the vote counting is done electronically. As we no longer carry out a manual count of each and every vote, the vote tally can be calculated within minutes of the close of polls. The paper ballots are kept in case a recount, whether electronic or manual, is required.

Water Filtration Borrowing Alternative Approval Process (AAP)

The Town of Ladysmith is currently holding an Alternative Approval Process for elector approval to borrow up to $6 million to build a water filtration plant.  Water filtration is required by Island Health (VIHA) in order for the Town of Ladysmith to meet the terms of its "Permit to Operate a Water Supply System" and continue to provide safe, reliable water to citizens and neighbours.

What is an AAP?

When a local government needs to borrow money over more than five years, the Community Charter requires that this is done by bylaw, and the bylaw must get the approval of the electors.  An Alternative Approval Process (AAP) is the method most commonly used by local governments in British Columbia for approval of borrowing bylaws. In an AAP, people who do not support the borrowing bylaw are required to submit an "elector response form".

The deadline for those opposed to Water Filtration Plant Loan Authorization Bylaw 2016, No. 1920 to submit an elector response form is 4:00 p.m.on Wednesday, April 12, 2016.

There are two types of electors -- resident and non-resident.

You qualify as a Resident Elector (who lives in the Town of Ladysmith) if you:

  • are 18 years of age or older; and
  • are a Canadian citizen; and
  • have lived in British Columbia for at least 6 months before you register to vote (since May 13, 2014 or earlier) ; and
  • have lived in the Town of Ladysmith for 30 days or longer (since October 15, 2014 or earlier); and
  • are not disqualified from voting in an election, or otherwise disqualified by law.

You qualify as a Non-Resident Property Elector (who owns property in the Town of Ladysmith but does not live here) in the Town of Ladysmith if you are:

  • age 18 or older; and
  • a Canadian citizen; and
  • a resident of British Columbia for at least 6 months immediately before the day of registration; and
  • a registered owner of real property in the Town of Ladysmith for at least 30 days immediately before the day of registration; and
  • not entitled to register as a resident elector; and
  • not disqualified by any enactment from voting in an election or otherwise
  • disqualified by law

If there is more than 1 registered owner of the property, only 1 of those individuals may, with the written consent of the majority of the other owners, submit an elector response form as a non-resident property elector.

A full information package and information about water filtration and the current AAP are available on the Water Filtration and Water Filtration AAP pages on this website.  Or, call City Hall at 250.245.6400, or e-mail info@ladysmith.ca for more information.

Who can run for office in Ladysmith?

You may run for any local government office if you:

  • are a Canadian citizen;
  • are at least 18 years old on election day;
  • have lived in British Columbia for at least six months (i.e., you moved here on or before May 13, 2014); and
  • have not been disqualified from voting in this election.

You do not have to live or own property in Ladysmith to run for office here.

You may not run for local government office if you:

  • are a judge of the Provincial Court, Supreme Court or Court of Appeal;
  • are an employee or salaried officer of the Town of Ladysmith (unless you have taken a leave of absence to run for office and agree to resign if elected);
  • are under sentence for an indictable offence and are in custody or in prison;
  • have been found guilty of an elections offence, such as double voting or  buying votes, and are prohibited from holding office; or
  • have been disqualified from this election for failing to:
    • file a disclosure statement in a previous election;
    • make an oath of office; or
    • attend meetings.

For more information about running for office, click on this link for a Local Elections Candidates Guide produced by the Province of BC -- BC Government Candidate Guide, or pick up a copy at City Hall.

For information about the new rules for campaign financing under the Local Elections Campaign Financing Act, click here.

Where can I learn more about local government?

For information about local government elections in B.C., click here

For information about local governments in B.C., click here

Where can I get more information about local government elections?

Don't hesitate to get in touch with us if you have any questions or need more information:

Corporate Officer:  Joanna Winter, 250.245.6417, jwinter@ladysmith.ca

Emergency Service
Transit Information
Garbage Schedule
Heritage by the sea