Property Tax Payments During COVID-19
During the COVID-19 pandemic, the Town of Ladysmith is following provincial physical distancing and safe business guidelines. For your safety and ours during this time, we recommend that you make all property tax transactions (Home Owner Grant and tax payments) online. Click here for some tips for making payments. We appreciate your cooperation and understanding as we work to prevent the spread of COVID-19 during these challenging times.
For most property owners, there are two steps required to complete your property tax process.
1. Claim Home Owner Grant (HOG) if eligible
- Go to www.ladysmith.ca
- On bottom of home page, click on “Claim Home Owner Grant” icon
- Enter roll number (####.###) and access code, which are both found on top right corner of your property tax notice
- Complete the application with required information
- Click on ‘Submit’
- A confirmation page will open.You must keep this page as proof of claiming the grant.We recommend that you print it off.
2. Make payment (unless your taxes will be paid by your mortgage company or you are deferring them)
- Online banking payments can be done through your financial institution
- You will need to make sure you add “Ladysmith Property Tax” as a payee.(When you search for a “Ladysmith” payee, you will also likely see Ladysmith Utilities, but to pay property taxes you must select Property Tax.
- The account number to enter is the 7-digit roll number on the top right corner of your property tax notice
If you have any difficulties when making an online payment, call us at 250.245.6400.
Paying by cheque
If you are paying by cheque, you can put it, together with your completed Home Owner Grant form in the drop box just beside the front door at City Hall. Cheques can be made payable to "Town of Ladysmith".
Paying taxes in person
Should you need to visit City Hall to make a payment and submit your Home Owner Grant, we will have protocols in place to reinforce physical distancing as staff assist you. Cash will be accepted, but cheque or debit are the preferred methods for in-person payments. Please ensure your debit payment is within your limit for both “tap” or “pin” transactions. Note that we do not take credit cards.
Property Tax Prepayment Plan
Property owners may prepay their property taxes for the following year by making monthly payments, in accordance with the provisions of Town of Ladysmith Property Tax Prepayment Plan Bylaw 2014, No. 1851. For more information and/or to sign up, download the Property Tax Prepayment Plan Agreement If your banking information changes or you would like to change the amount of your monthly payments please fill out the Pre-Authorized Debit- Change of Information.
To cancel prepayment plan, please complete the Pre-authorized Debit Cancellation Form.
Utility Bill Payments
You can pay your utility bill directly through our new pre-authorized debit program.
All you need to do is fill out the form and return it to us with a void cheque. We will advise you once your payment plan is set up. after that, your account will be debited on the bill's due date. You will still receive your quarterly utility bill.
You can cancel the pre-authorized debit service by completing the "Pre-Authorized Debit Cancellation Form".
Other ways to pay utility bills are:
- At City Hall with cash, cheque or debit (cheques may be dropped in the After Hours Drop Box to the left of the City Hall front doors with your remittance slip after office hours).
- By mail
- Through your financial institution, in person or online
To claim your 2020 Home Owner Grant, click here.
If you have questions regarding your Property Tax or Utility Bills, please contact the Financial Services Department at 250.245.6414, ext 6206 or email email@example.com