May 28, 2020
City Hall reopening June 1 to assist residents during tax time
The Town of Ladysmith is taking extra precautions as a result of COVID-19 to be able to serve you safely at City Hall during tax time.
In the coming days you will be receiving your 2020 Property Tax Notice in the mail.
For the well-being of the public and our staff, we are encouraging property owners to claim their Homeowner Grant and pay their taxes online if they are able to do so.
This year's tax notice package contains important information regarding your tax bill, due dates and penalty dates. As in past years, you can pay your tax bill through your financial institution and claim your grant online.
You can also read these details and watch our short helpful Claiming Your Homeowner Grant Online video here.
We understand that not everyone has access to a computer or feels comfortable paying their tax bill through online banking.
City Hall will reopen to the public on Monday, June 1 to help those individuals who require extra assistance with paying by debit, cheque or cash. You can also use the drop box at the front steps to submit a payment after hours.
When we reopen next week, the Town will have protocols in place at City Hall to protect both residents and staff while maintaining physical distancing and ensuring all common touch surfaces are frequently sanitized.
Additionally, we have installed a glass panel at the front counter to limit the spread of germs.
If you plan on visiting City Hall, please be aware of the following changes to help make the process as smooth as possible:
- Only one patron, or small family cluster, will be allowed in the front foyer of the building at one time.
- Please use the pathway closest to the Trans-Canada Highway to enter the building and following the signs and the physical distancing markers on the ground to maintain a minimum 2 metre (6 feet) separation from others.
- Fill out and sign your Home Owner Grant form at home, as well as a cheque for the payment of your property taxes, if applicable.The Home Owner Grant Form can be found at the bottom of your Property Tax Notice and make cheques payable to "Town of Ladysmith."
- Upon exiting City Hall use the walkway to the right of the steps leading directly to Roberts Street and the upper parking lot.
- Hand sanitizer will be available to you at the front counter.We encourage all patrons to sanitize their hands when entering and leaving the building.
Please do not visit City Hall if you are feeling unwell or have any of the following symptoms, even if they may appear minor: coughing, sneezing, runny nose, sore throat, fever, aches, chills or shortness of breath.
We understand that many residents have experienced sudden financial hardship in recent months. For this reason, the due date for payments remains at July 2, 2020, however, penalties on unpaid property taxes will not be applied on balances remaining until 4:00 p.m. on September 30, 2020.
Once again, if you're interested in learning more about how to claim your Home Owner Grant online, we've created an instructional video to guide you through this quick and easy process. All you need is information contained on your 2020 Property Tax Notice.