Elections, AAP, Referenda

Introduction to General Local Elections

General local elections in B.C. are held every four years on the third Saturday in October. The next general local elections will be held on October 15, 2022.

General local elections (and by-elections) are the most direct way for the public to influence their local government, school district or other local governance body by determining the individuals who then make decisions and govern on their behalf following general voting day.

Where can I get more information about local government elections?

Don't hesitate to get in touch with us if you have any questions or need more information:

Corporate Officer:  Donna Smith, 250.245.6417, dsmith@ladysmith.ca.

Alternative Approval Process (AAP)

There are no AAP's at this time.

What is an AAP?

When a local government needs to borrow money over more than five years, the Community Charter requires that this must be approved by the electors.  An Alternative Approval Process (AAP) is the method most commonly used by local governments in British Columbia for approval of borrowing . In an AAP, people who do not support the borrowing are required to submit an Elector Response Form.  
To read more about the Alternative Approval process, please click here, or visit the Province of BC Website


There is currently no referendum, for the Town of Ladysmith.